Thursday, November 5, 2009

Luminescence

We were given the task to find images of various light sources, and the projection/feeling/presence they create. The images below are mostly my photographs (except for when given credit otherwise). I enjoyed the exploration of the vast amounts of different light types, and actions. The beauty light creates is incredible. Enjoy. =)

Sunrise



Midday

Photo taken by me in the Baltimore, Inner Harbor.

Sunset

Photo taken by me in Washington, D.C.

Moonlight



Starlight


Lamplight


Photo I took in the NY library, in NYC.

Spotlight

Photo I took in the Botanical Gardens in Washington, D.C.

Lowlight


Photo I took in Washington, D.C. during the Cherry Blossom Festival.

Nightlight


Up Light


Photo I took of an exhibit in the Museum of Modern Art in NYC.

Down light


A photo I took in the New York Library in NYC.

Intensity


A photo my friend, Meghan Matthews, took of me on the campus of Towson University in Towson, Maryland with my cell phone.

Contrast


A photo I took of a jelly fish at the National Aquarium in Baltimore, Maryland.

Direction


A photo I took at the National Arboretum in Washington, D.C.

Shade/Shadow



A photo I took at Longwood Gardens in Pennsylvania.

Color


A photo taken of me by my friend, Jessyca Gorden on a floor using yellow light in the Museum of Modern Art in NYC.


We were next asked to research a series of artists who have experimented with light.

The piece below is by Marcel Wanders. I found this one in particular to be beautiful, and ornate. I love the way the light filters throughout the entire piece.


The next piece is by Yves Béhar. I love the motion that it creates, and how it illuminates in a crystal-like manner. It has such whimsy.


The next piece is by Patricia Urquiola. Her light fixtures appear to be very futuristic. This one in particular caught my eye because it demonstrates creative direction with the light source.


This piece is by Olafur Eliasson. I find their work absolutely stunning! The filtration of the light is incredible.



This piece is by James Turrell. The shadowing effect of the light is an interesting effect.


This one is by Peter Zumthor. This piece is similar to the light effect that I will be creating with my luminaire for this project.


This one is by Shigeru Ban. I love their use of natural lighting, and direction, shadow, and filtration using crossed pieces.


This next piece is by Tadao Ando. The use of direction and filtration throw narrow slits in the concrete is similar to the effect I will be creating with my project with bamboo.


The final piece that caught my interest is by Zaha Hadid.  The use of the light creating an upward illumination was done in such a spectacular way. I immensely enjoy this piece.


No comments:

Post a Comment