Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Designer Bio + Goals...

A new semester…a new post…a new outlook?

Yesterday marked the first day of the spring 2011 semester. Patrick, my studio professor, presented us with the task of first choosing 3-5 goals for the upcoming semester, and then listing our personal strengths. Once listing a few strengths we were asked to pair ourselves with a few of our classmates that knew us well and have them list a few more…our group decided to take it a step further and also list some areas that we could grow as designers in….

First, the list of goals…
1.    1 .To think outside the box vs. being too literal (I struggle with this until I have my ideas pushed, and then I am able to expand, and branch out)
2.     2.To be more confident in my ideas as a designer. (I tend to offer multiple ideas after I have already chosen an idea to pursue, questioning my original idea instead of having confidence in them and continuing).
3.     3.To explore different approaches to the design process, and figure out which style is best for me.
4.     4.To become familiar with other designer’s work to expand on ideas, ways of thinking, and understanding.

Personal Strengths…
1.    1. Detail oriented
2.    2. Dedicated.
3.     3.Inquisitive and enjoy exploring various avenues.
4.    4. Several areas of interest that can be combined and incorporated into my designs.
5.     5.Adventurous and willing to take on new challenges.
6.   6.  Photography skills.

Those added by group members…
1.     1.Positive aura in life and in learning
2.     2.Skilled in color theory, and color palette choices for designs and rendering.

Areas of improvement and progress…
1.    1. Need to worry less about ideas, and become more confident in my own abilities.
2.    2. Need to broaden influences instead of relying solely on ideas I can conjure up from within.

The second exercise was to figure out which side of the scale we as designers, and individuals fell on in the “change style indicator” exercise. There were two sides to the scale “the conservers” and the “originator.” I fell on the “originator” side meaning that I traditionally challenge set rules and ideas, and advocate for change.  Some of the set backs however, are that we tend to focus on individual practices vs. others’, and we also tend to abandon ideas for new ones, instead of following through. The other end of the spectrum tended to be detail oriented, and fixated on one course.


This picture that I took of my dad speaks to the way I design. I think in photography angles, color, lighting, and textures. When I design I think of how these things are effected, and how they alter the over all feeling or experience of what I am designing. Having a bent for photography has helped me tremendously in my thought process as well as in my design process.  



No comments:

Post a Comment